Justification Toolkit: General Tips
Many travel budgets and training budgets have been slashed, and some of our members are experiencing severe financial restraints. Which means that regardless of the merits of a conference, you’ll probably need to justify the expense. So here are some things you might want to consider:
WAYS TO SAVE MONEY AND GET THE MOST OUT OF THE EXPERIENCE:
- Register before the early-bird cut off of February 15, 2019 to save $300 off the onsite rates.
- Be sure to check out the registration page where all the various rates are listed to see if you qualify for any of the lower rates or discounts. Remember, presenters save 25% off the published rates.Organize a group of your colleagues and register as a group! When registering three or more full conference attendees from the same organization at the same time, a $100 discount will be applied for each person starting with the third person in the group.
- Sign up early for Facility Tours, Evening Networking Events and Mixers and Pre-Conference Programs as they fill up quickly.
PREPARE TO JUSTIFY YOUR PARTICIPATION BY:
- Focus on what you will specifically bring back to the organization as return for the investment.
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A to your colleagues to share what you learned. That way others in your unit will get the benefits of your attendance, too.
- Share the syllabus and speaker handouts with your colleagues. As an attendee, you have unlimited access to materials posted by speakers.
- If you are working to obtain or maintain your CAPP designation, remind your supervisor that this is a great way to earn certification hours or recertification credits and is less expensive than registering for separate conferences.
- It also requires less time away from the office.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference. Offer to share a room to reduce hotel expenses.