Apply for the Parking Solutions Competition
2018 Parking Solutions Competition: Garage of the Future
The International Parking Institute (IPI) Parking Solutions Competition is a design and development challenge for college students. This competition is a chance for students to express their rendition of The Garage of the Future. IPI seeks to engage students in a challenging parking solutions exercise based on real-world scenarios. Students can submit independently or form their own multidisciplinary teams. Finalists will be selected on the basis of creativity, innovation, realism, applicability, scalability, overall presentation and the idea’s ability to benchmark success and demonstrate return on investment.
Parking is an essential element of the mobility equation—and the creation of “smart cities.” Parking, transportation, and real estate are linked and impact the others in myriad and complex ways.
The urban landscape has changed rapidly due to demographics, demand for more livable places and communities, and transformative (and disruptive) technologies. In the face of all this change, parking structures will continue to play a critical role in our cities and towns – but the planning, design and construction will evolve. Therein lies our challenge, to address the form and function of the garage itself, and to craft more viable mobility solutions for the places we live, work, and play.
Design the garage of the future, with a 10 to 20 year outlook.
- Consider form: planning, design, aesthetics, sustainability, adaptability, materials.
- Consider functionality: mobility, flow, configuration, security, connectivity.
- Consider cost: How do you value a parking space?
- Consider relationships: smart city, connected cars, people, transit, IoT.
- Provide a brief narrative of your idea – a short description of 1,000 to 1,500 words.
- One of the following applications is required, but not limited to:
- 3/D Models/Animation
- Renderings and Images
- BIM models
- Plans/drawings/floor plans
- Formats include, but are not limited to list above, and multiple formats may also be combined to illustrate the proposed parking solution. Additional formats may be proposed, please reach out to IPI for information, contact Stephanie Santoro at email@example.com.
Finalists will demonstrate the following:
- In June 2018, the competition will sponsor one member of each finalist team to travel to the IPI Annual Conference and EXPO in Orlando, Fla. to meet international experts and present their innovative idea at the Parking Solutions Competition ceremony.
- Roundtrip-airfare and a two-night hotel stay in Orlando, Fla. for one person/team member (arrangements to be made by IPI). Additional participants may attend at their own expense.
- Free conference registration valued at $1,499 for one person/team member.
- Free one year IPI Student Membership.
Grand Prize Winner:
In addition to the above, the grand prize winner will be awarded the following:
- Feature in The Parking Professional, IPI’s award-winning monthly magazine showcasing your parking solution.
- Feature on parking.org.
- Press release.
- Social media recognition.
- Opening date of competition: October 16, 2017
- Submissions due: February 23, 2018
- Notifications and invitations to the four finalists: March 2018
- Four finalists to IPI’s 2018 Conference and Expo: June 2018
The Parking Solutions Competition is part of IPI’s ongoing effort to raise interest and awareness among the professionals of the future about the parking, transportation, and mobility industries. The competition will address parking development patterns and the need for multidisciplinary solutions to design and development challenges for urban spaces, campuses, and parking and transportation challenges.